Started building remote controlled Yak-54 Foam aircraft

Today, me and 4 friends of mine, undergraduate students of Aerospace Engineering in Universiti Putra Malaysia, have started building a small scaled Yak 54 foam model remote-controlled aircraft. A lot more friends are to join. We've started off with soldering the adapters to the cables of electronic components. I used soldering iron 6 years ago when I was studying Form 3 in SMK Telok Panglima Garang. Started off with some bad soldering, later somehow I managed to get the knowledge of soldering back. The friend of mine, Vijayan who is currently a third-year student, was better than me at soldering and helped me throughout the two hours of work today.

Making of remote controlled aircraft or known as RC aircraft/airplane, is being a hobby among people around the world. From young children to older people are involving themselves in this great hobby. A lot of videos, forums, websites and resources are on the internet to teach us how to do a RC aircraft from scratch by our own.

We're having the same passion too. We're going to do it not only as hobby to fill our free-time, but also we shall use this as a medium to understand the theories of flight that are taught to us and also those published on the books.

The main electronic components used for a basic RC aircraft are :- brushless motor, electronic speed controller (ESC),  Li-Po battery,  receiver module and servos. We're intending to build a classical, single motor with puller configuration, fixed wing aircraft out of compressed foam/ Depron foam.

Tomorrow, I will be posting the images and the specifications of the components and materials that we are using to build it. And I shall be sharing my experiences, project works, aeronautics knowledge and constantly update this blog with the projects' build logs and my future plans. Kindly follow up with me!


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment