Yak-54 35" Depron Foam Model Build Log- Part 2

Today, I've started working on the airframe where it is mainly built out of compressed white foam and foam with black colouring at one of its sides. We're building it in our hostel (residential college), College 10, UPM.  As per stated in the first part of this build log, I've downloaded the plan/template for this model, printed it out, cut the templates(wings, stabilizers, fuselage) and pasted onto the foam. Since, I've planned to make a different fuselage structure, I did some extra work beyond those plans over that template.

Fuselage has internal width of 2 inches and gets smaller in size as it approaches the stabilizers. Thickness of the foam used is 6mm. So, here is the picture of the non-assembled electronic items, transmitter unit, and Phoenix RC Simulator which I bought from RCSmart. Captured with 2MP Nokia classic phone.







Those are the few simple tools which I used to glue, cut, stick, measure and solder. The following images show fuselage template that has been glued onto foam board and two foam parts that been cut out (left and right wall for fuselage).  





Later, a foam sheet of 2" width cut out of the foam for building a compartment in between two walls of fuselage to place the electronic components nicely. 



Similar step was carried out for wings, elevator and rudder. 



Later, a carbon fiber tube of 4mm diameter and of 25 inches length embedded into the foam wing as shown below. It functions as wing spar to strengthen the foam wing and prevent it from fluttering much during its flight. 




Then, me and one of my friend who came to my room, started gluing the structures together using CA super glue. Here its widely known as 'Gam Gajah' (or Elephant Brand Glue). We need to be careful in choosing the CA glue. From my previous experience, cheap and low quality CA glue tend to "eat" the foam structure. So, go for good medium-range-costed ones. I prefer CA glue over Epoxy glue due to the easiness of usage, quicker time of drying & bonding, don't have to mix two different tubes (epoxy&resin) together which is an extra work. But, from what I know, even though the epoxy glue tend to dry slower, it bonds very strongly to the structure. It is very much recommended to use epoxy for the wood based models. 










Now, is the favorite part of mine for today. Adding hinges to the control surfaces. Three days ago, I forgot to buy nylon hinges from the RC hobby shop. As I was searching for an alternative to attach the surfaces, suddenly I thought of using plastic covers which we normally use for assignment works. I cut 6 pieces of plastic with  2" length and 1" width; folded it half; pressed on both sides until I saw white lines on them.





 Later, I sliced through/in the main wing (2 places in each side) and main elevator(1 place at both sides) parts. Same done over the movable aileron and elevator parts. Then, I slotted the hinge into both surfaces and finally added CA glue at the joints of hinges. The CA glue flowed into the foam and holding both sides strongly. The surfaces are moving up and down perfectly. And the CA glue has ran out before I was able to attach rudder onto the vertical stab. Nearly, 3 small CA glue were been used. 






And that is the final product of the day. Will be continuing to do this model on coming Monday. Need to get landing gear set and propeller adapter/nose cone for fixing prop onto the motor shaft.





Comments for this entry

Leave your comment